Yvette Davis Gayle
Artisan & owner
Brooklyn born. South Africa based. Veteran entertainment publicist. Artisan. More than two decades in the music industry has afforded me the remarkable opportunity of seeing the world. Monte Carlo, Lisbon, Port Au Prince, London, and Tokyo recall treasured moments. Vacations with my husband to Tuscany, Paris, Montego Bay, Barcelona, Cape Town and Phuket were awe-inspiring. My world is a global landscape. And like a painter who paints his past, I create luxury products to recall my most precious memories. My luxurious candle fragrances highlight my very personal journey. A remarkable journey that led me to Ethiopia... to my daughter Sitota.
What first began in my kitchen, blossomed into existence from an idea my six-year-old son had one day. “Mama,” he said as I was making up a batch of my hand poured candles. “We should have a manufacturing plant and have stores in every country that sell our candles.” From his lips to God's ears. The Sitota Collection was born in 2013.
THE SITOTA COLLECTION ETHOS
Be it travel, fragrance or candles, I’m a lover of all things luxurious. I set out to re-define luxury and suggest that it no longer has to be identified by its unattainability.
I use the highest quality of fine fragrance and essential oils and use traditional artisan techniques of blending renewable soy and coconut wax. Candles are hand poured in small batches thereby paying particular attention to every detail. Each candle is then exquisitely packaged and offered at an accessible price.
Inspired by my global travels, each scent in my line is centered around a particular culture or country that my family has explored.
Ultimately my life journey led me to Ethiopia, the birth place of my daughter Sitota. The collection reflects, emphasizes and celebrates cultural diversity and a commitment to family.
CRAFTSMANSHIP & TECHNIQUE
At The Sitota Collection, we create sheer opulence by using traditional artisan techniques of delicately hand blending custom fragrances with renewable soy and coconut wax. Our scented candles are produced in small batches to maintain superior craftsmanship and to ensure meticulous attention is paid to every detail. We use lead-free wicks and our premium fragrances are infused with essential oils and are phthalate-free. We set ourselves apart from our competitors by offering a very limited selection where each luxurious fragrance tells a unique story. We hope that you will enjoy a magnificent olfactory experience.
EMBRACE THE BENEFITS OF SOY
- Soy wax is vegetable wax made from the oil of soybeans. Soy’s greatest advantage is that it is a renewable resource. The soy used in our candles was likely growing in the ground less than a year ago. Using premium candles made with soy supports US agriculture and farmers.
- Soy candles burn cleaner and slower, providing anywhere from 30-50% more “burn time” than paraffin candles of the same size. Soy candles also hold their scent and color better, which means that the fragrance you enjoy from the moment you light your candle will be present throughout its life.
- Soy wax is water soluble and can be removed with warm water and soap.
BENEFITS OF BODY CANDLE
Ridiculously decadent, Body Candle is made from 100% natural coconut wax, shea butter, soy, coconut oil, jojoba essential oil, vitamin E and aloe vera. These elements provide excellent benefits for the skin:
- Shea Butter is a superb moisturizer and exceptional healing property for the skin
- Coconut Oil is a beauty multitasker, strengthening underlying tissue and providing deep moisture
- Soy is purported to diminish wrinkles, reverse skin damage and tighten aging skin
- Jojoba essential oil contains almost all of the vitamins and minerals essential for healthy skin
- Vitamin E serves as an antioxident fighting off free radicals that cause wrinkles, lines and age spots
- Aloe Vera is called the plant of immortality because it heals wounds and soothes skin
There are several keys to making sure you get the most out of your favorite candle burn.
The first time you burn your candle make sure you have enough time to get a full melt pool (wax melts to the far corners of the jar). It takes about 1 hour per inch in diameter for a container candle. Candle wax has memory. If you end your burning prior to reaching a full melt pool your candle will tunnel the next time it is lit.
Reserve blowing out candles for your birthday cake. Blowing a container candle can push your wick down into the wax. The best way to extinguish your flame is to use a wick dipper. Use the tip to dip the wick into the wax and then pull it out gently and straighten your wick. This accomplishes two things. It prevents smoking or sooting and it coats your wick with melted wax to help it stay upright. Coating the wick this way helps the candle re-light easier.Remember to trim your wick to ¼ inch before your next lighting and burn your candle in a draft free area. Use these tips and I promise you will get the most out of your candle.